Quite a few homeowners find it irrelevant to invest in a waterproofing system for their home, as most of them think fire to be as the major concern. But a house is ten times more likely to get damaged due to water than by fire.
And if you’re trying to resolve the issue of a wet and dusty basement, this article of ours will help you with a few tips and the protections you need to take against flooding conditions.
Before we share you the information you are here for, we will start by telling you what waterproofing system is and why it is mandatory for your house.
Waterproofing is the protective measures to forbid against the unwanted penetration of liquids through external forces like capillarity. These techniques are used in the construction and in designing of industries to constrain the effect of environment liquid infiltration into systems.
The significant advantage of Waterproofing is to maintain the strength and the durability of concrete surfaces in a building.
Below are some of the effects flooding has on your health, learning this will make you look out for waterproofing contractors in Bangalore right away.
Water leakage and its effects on health
The flooding causes the moisture to enter into your home through walls and ceilings; this leads to the development of mold and mildew. The spores start forming once the micro-organisms which find their way into the building via air, thereby resulting in health problems which are created after the microorganisms.
Once you breathe in, these spores travel into your lungs causing health issues. These outcomes can be avoided only if the waterproofing is done at the right time. Water seepage has adverse effects on one’s health, and if not done on time can lead to unexpected health problems.
Water leaking leads to flooding in your basement, and these floods occur anytime. Most of the flooding appears due to heavy rain in the winter; it can happen even during dry weather.
Heavy rainfall spurs the growth of molds and fungi thereby the people exposed to it become prone to respiratory illnesses.
Common Causes of basement flooding:
Below are the ways that are the primary causes of a flooded basement.
- Basement Foundation: The most common form of basement flooding is the leaky basement foundation. The reasons behind this are the excessive amount of rain, poor are drainage and sewage systems. These problems can be solved by installing a warrantied, industry-leading waterproofing system.
- Plumbing Leaks: Plumbing leaks could be either a burst or a leaking pipe, a leaky water tank or by a water heater.
Here are certain protective measures that you need to take against the flooding conditions.
As a homeowner, you might face threats of keeping your basements dry. And might deal with damps and wet basement. Measures taken at the right time can avoid damage to your home, and also to health.
Here is how you can protect your family’s health and the structure of your building.
- Never touch your electrical wiring your firings: If you wish to go down to your basement, wear waterproof rubber boots. Most importantly avoid touching or using electrical devices as it puts you at the risk of electrocution.
- Check whether the sump pumps and drains are operating as they help in standing water out of the basement. Also, invest in a battery backup system for your sump pump.
- Throw away the food that comes in contact with flood waters.
- Remove the standing water from your basement as early as possible. If your basement is flooded, pump the water to avoid any structural damage.
- Abandon water-damaged items: Remove the items that cannot be dried. Correctly remove the dry or soaked carpets within 48 hours of a flood to not attract mold.
Tips for preventing a flooded basement:
- Install Sump Pump: Put in some money and install a sump pump, installing an automatic sump pump can help prevent basement flooding. There are plenty of options for sump pumps like there are battery operated ones that start once the power goes off.
- Repair foundation cracks: Check if there are any cracks in your basement and repair them immediately. Ensure that there no significant cracks in the wall.
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts: Have the gutters clean and lengthen the downspout from your house. This restricts the roof water from collecting around the foundation.
Also Read: 8 Strategies for Building a Sustainable Preservation Movement
THE BOTTOM LINE
Waterproofing helps in promoting long-term comfort to you and your home. The measure that we’ve listed here will help in reducing the moisture from your building. Thereby making your place more comfortable to live in.
If you frequently experience floods and wish to learn more about them, do follow us. In case you have questions concerning this article, write to us in the comments section below.
Leave a Reply